b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] YHWH.. is the pronunciation important?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Gene Gardner <g_gardner1234 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] YHWH.. is the pronunciation important?
  • Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2005 07:29:58 -0700 (PDT)

Bryan wrote:

Dear Gene,

You are entering into a question of religious practice
that is beyond
the mission of this list. Please discontinue this
direction.

Shalom,
Bryan Rocine
b-hebrew co-chair

Gene Gardner wrote:
> I have been pondering if the actual pronunciation of
> YHWH is all that important for a number of reasons.
If
> I remember correctly, the Mishnah refers to the
Hebrew
> language as leshon ha-kodesh.(the Holy tongue). Does
> that mean that it the final tongue? What I have been
> examining recently is this passage from the Hebrew
> Scriptures:
>
> Zephaniah 3
>
> 9 For then will I turn to the peoples a pure
language,
> that they may all call upon the name of the LORD, to
> serve Him with one consent.
>

> The Name LORD is represented in the Hebrew as YHWH.
My
> question is, what would be this pure language that
is
> spoken of in this passage, and if it was a new
> language (not restored), wouldn't one be calling on
> new Name?

Sorry that I was not clear Bryan. Let me rephrase the
question. Do the members of the list think that this
passage is referring to a new or “renewed” language in
the Hebrew text?