b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Josiah's book of the Law

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Dora Smith" <villandra AT austin.rr.com>
  • To: "Yitzhak Sapir" <yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Josiah's book of the Law
  • Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2005 19:11:05 -0500

Fascinating. Thanks for this!

I get the idea that Jerusalem was a town and a regional center before 1550 -
when Hurrians overran the land, to be followed eventually by Egyptians.
The Egyptians depopulated the area, so that could explain it.

In Amarna times Jerusalem had people but little clue what they did;
Jerusalem appears to have probably been a regional fortress and center of
government. At the time, according to the article below, most towns in the
hill countyr were little mroe than forts! I believe that actually most
life was in little villgages - or for some time, after the drought and
Egyptian depopulation of the region, it consisted mainly of Apiru and Shasu
(Bedouin, who moved in from teh Transjordan, and worshipped Yahweh.)

Yours,
Dora Smith
Austin, Texas
villandra AT austin.rr.com