b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] The translation of ehyeh

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Shoshanna Walker <rosewalk AT concentric.net>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] The translation of ehyeh
  • Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2005 18:15:23 -0400

I really find it so hard to believe that you are actually saying that the entire Jewish tradition (I've just read a few quick samples of commentaries for myself) is wrong about this.

I can give you JEWISH philosophical theology that, yes ehyeh is a personal name of G-d, and that it is "I will be" - the Torah is the Jewish Bible, is it not?

Shoshanna

The debate over the translation of ehyeh can surely not be settled by recourse to linguistic analysis alone, being as there are more than one possible translations of it. The context of Exodus 3:14 makes clear that ehyeh is to be understood as the self-identification (personal name) of God. There is only one possible translation that makes sense in this context, and that is 'I am', which makes perfect sense. I'd be happy to explain to any who are interested, but the explanation is philosophical theology, not linguistic.

K J Cronin