b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] high priest on Yom Kippur -- no strings attached?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Søren Holst <sh AT teol.ku.dk>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] high priest on Yom Kippur -- no strings attached?
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 17:50:49 +0200

Hi Schmuel

Here are the first few sites I came across that claimed the tradition is not
in any of the ancient sources:

http://www.hatikva.org/articles/the-coming-of-the-messiah-at-yom-kippur.htm

http://www.christiananswers.net/q-eden/anklerope.html

http://nbchesed.blogspot.com/2003/04/no-strings-attached.html

I may have overstated the case in decribing the writers as knowledgeable in
general (I didn't particularly look into the credentials), but the fact that
nobody seemed to give a source for the tradition made me trust the ones who
claim it just isn't there :-)

But assuming that it really is not in Jopsephus, the Mishnah or any text of
comparable age, the fact remains that the story is going around, so it has to
come from somewhere. I'm intrigued to hear it goes as far back as the Zohar.
Gotta run off and see if we have that in the library.

kol tuv
Soren

PS
Rolf's reference to Yoma 6,2 was nothing to do with ropes, but related to the
other thread about pronunciation of the tetragrammaton, right?