b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Questions about YHWH

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Yigal Levin" <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Questions about YHWH
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 08:42:50 +0200

Hi Chris,

Your memory serves you well. The writing of the Tetragrammaton in
paleo-Hebrew in some of the DDS has been understood as a sign of the Name
being considered "extra-holy". And you're correct about the LXX as well. The
Tetragrammaton is also not used in any of the Aramaic portions of Daniel or
Ezra, and even Chronicles quite often (though not always) uses "Elohim"
where his source in Samuel-King uses YHWH. So yes, the reluctance to
pronounce and even to spell out the Name seems to have developed during the
early Second Temple Period.
Later rabbinic sources recount that the Name was pronounced publicly by the
High Priest only on Yom Kippur, and that after the destruction of the
Temple, the proper pronunciation was lost.

Yigal