b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] More on the findings at Nachal Tut

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Yigal Levin" <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] More on the findings at Nachal Tut
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 07:09:08 +0200

Yes, Yokne'am is the Hebrew spelling of Jokneam, and yes, according to most
scholars, it was in Zebulun's territory (although the actual site is farther
south, in Manasseh). However, these particular stamp impressions, known to
archaeologists as LMLK stamps, are impressed on large storage jars - not the
kind of thing that a tourist or a pilgrim would carry home with him. We
should remember, that most pottery was not moved around for its own sake,
but as a vessel with some content. These LMLK stamps were found on
jar-handles throughout Judah in the destruction layers dated to the end of
the 8th century - in other words, destroyed by Sennacherib's army. The
inscription "belonging to the king", followed by the name of one of four
towns in Judah (Hebron, Ziph, Sochoh and the unidentified MMST) have led
scholars to believe that the Jars were used as part of a distribution system
for supplies (grain, oil etc.) as part of Hezekiah's preperations for the
invasion. As far as I know, the only other site in the north, in which these
stamps have been found, is Jezreel.

Yigal