b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Dating the book of Daniel (was Re: Aramaic in Babylonia)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Robert Heard <Christopher.Heard AT pepperdine.edu>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Dating the book of Daniel (was Re: Aramaic in Babylonia)
  • Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2005 12:29:03 -0700 (PDT)

Karl wrote:
> To get the peripheral subject out of the way first: as for the dating
> of Daniel, there are the internal claims and the external
> “conclusions” of the scholars. Seeing as the
> scholars’ conclusion is based solely on philosophical
> presuppositions which I reject, there are no historical sources to
back
> them up, I prefer to go with the historical claims internal to the
book.

Karl, you seem to be stretching your point a bit here. The text of the
book of Daniel makes no claims about the authorship of the book of
Daniel. The angelic mediator featured in chapters 10-12 does tell
Daniel to "keep the book sealed," but the only "book" that mediator has
otherwise mentioned is the "book of truth," a heavenly book already
written before Daniel learns anything about it. Unlike, say, Jeremiah
(Jer 36) or John (Rev 1:11), Daniel is not instructed to write, tell,
or make known the contents of any of his visions. I suppose one might
wish to argue that the first-person narration in chapters 7-12
constitutes an implicit claim to Danielic authorship. However, to be
consistent, one would also have to hold that the third-person narration
in chapters 1-6 constitutes an implicit claim against Danielic
authorship, which also detaches the composition of those stories from
the Babylonian-Persian time frame.

As for the scholarly arguments dating the composition of the book of
Daniel to the second century BCE, they are most certainly not "based
solely on philosophical presuppositions." They are based, chiefly, on
textual analyses of Daniel 7-12 in light of the well-attested workings
of apocalyptic literature in general.

Chris H.

--
R. Christopher Heard