b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew in messages was Re: Iron sharpeneth iron? (Prov. 27:17)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Karl Randolph <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew in messages was Re: Iron sharpeneth iron? (Prov. 27:17)
  • Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2005 00:04:49 +0100

On 05/07/2005 19:34, Karl Randolph wrote:

Peter:

I used Camino web browser looking at and authoring the messages on line. Not
only did the Hebrew show up when I authored the text, but even after going
through your mail reader and returned, I still see Hebrew (some mail programs
change unicode that they don’t understand to question marks). Could there be
something in your mail reader that does not always display unicode? Or do I
need to switch to a cleaner browser like Safari that displays cleaner unicode?

My mail reader, Mozilla, displays Unicode fine when encoded properly - using "character entities" or properly encoded characters in HTML e-mail, or properly encoded characters in plain text e-mail. But "character entities" should not be used in plain text e-mail, and should not be interpreted as characters. The b-hebrew archives have made the correct adjustment here; but do you see Hebrew letters at https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/b-hebrew/2005-July/023687.html ? This would appear to be a bug, possibly in Camino but more probably in your webmail program.

I would recommend setting the character encoding used by your webmail program to UTF-8, if you can. It should then send properly encoded Hebrew and other languages. Also set it to send plain text e-mail, for this list accepts only that and it may be the conversion which is causing the problem.

Example of properly encoded Hebrew characters (in Windows-1255 encoding):
אבגד

Example of "character entities" which should be displayed as ampersand, hash, four digits and a semicolon:
&#1488;&#1489;&#1490;&#1491;

The same spaced out to break any automatic conversion:
& # 1488 ; & # 1489 ; & # 1490 ; & # 1491;

What do you see?

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)