b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Re: Zechariah 12:1-2

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Baruj Diez <barujdiez AT yahoo.es>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Re: Zechariah 12:1-2
  • Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 00:16:51 +0200

Dear B-Hebrew citizens,

>> Zechariah [...] Putting 12:1-2 together could it
>> also be rendered "the burden of the word of Jehovah
>> concerning Israel ... and also concerning Judah"?

> I think this must be interpreted in the sense that
> whatever is against Jerusalem is also against Judah,
> so meaning something like "this cup will also be
> against Judah, a siege against Jerusalem".

This is how _The Stone Edition Tanach_ translates
it:

Behold, I am making Jerusalem a cup of poison
for all the peoples all around;* also Judah
will take part in the siege of Jerusalem.

* Before the End of Days, the nations will
besiede Jerusalem, and even force Jews to join
them, but the enemies will be destroyed
instead (_Targum_).

Best wishes,

--