b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Jer 52:12 vs 2 Kings 25:8

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Jer 52:12 vs 2 Kings 25:8
  • Date: Fri, 06 May 2005 15:20:17 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "Yigal Levin" <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>>

Yes it is, and shamelessly so.

> Since that whole section of 2 Kings 25 and Jer. 52 are
> parallel almost word for word, they must have been copied from a common
> source.

Even so, you can’t rule out one, namely 2 Kings, from not taking a snippet
from another source and inserting it in what is otherwise almost word for
word the same in Jeremiah. (They didn’t have copyright in those days ;-))

> The Jer. text seems to be more "complete" (for example the
> information about Riblah in verse 10, missing from the parallel verse 7),
> which would seem to indicate that 2 Kings 25 is an abbreviation of Jer. 52,
> but in the verse in question, Kings' "Nebuzeardan... 'ebed melek Babel"
> ("servant of the king of Babylon") makes more sense than Jer.'s
> "Nebuzeardan... 'amad lipney melek Babel" ("stood before the king of
> Babylon"). The letter bet in 'ebed seems to have been miscopied by Jer. as a
> mem, and then the word "lipney" added in to make the context work. So it's
> difficult to judge which version of the date is the original.

Riblah was mentioned in verse six of 2 Kings 25.

Even Jeremiah seems to indicate that Nebuzareadan may have been in the
encampment before Jerusalem fell. 2 Kings mentions when he arrived at
Jerusalem, Jeremiah mentions when he stood before the king to get his
marching orders (or rather, his looting orders (army cooks often get a
reputation at scrounging))..

> KARL:
> >It seems that in the context, the entrance into Jerusalem was the tenth.
>
> Why?

Look above at the context—the city fell on the nineth, the serious job of
royal looting got underway on the tenth.

> > Karl W. Randolph.
> > --

Sign-up for Ads Free at Mail.com
http://promo.mail.com/adsfreejump.htm