b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] YHWH Derivation - a dead end

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: kgraham0938 AT comcast.net
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] YHWH Derivation - a dead end
  • Date: Thu, 05 May 2005 19:53:34 +0000

@Rolf:

Hey how is it going? I did not say that my view was the only possible, I
was just explaining why I hold it, and why I think that many translators keep
it as I AM who I AM instead of I will be who I will be. If I am not mistaken
even HALOT [Hebrew and Aramiac Lexicon of the Old Testament] has I shall
prove to be who I will prove to be as an option, so I by no means am saying
that it is impossible. I just don't think it answers Moses' question.

Ok I got to run, you can write me back later if you want.

--
Kelton Graham
KGRAHAM0938 AT comcast.net

> Dear Kelton,
>
> I see the logic in your reasonings, but your conclusions are not the
> only ones possible. To know the name of someone did not only mean for
> the Hebrews to know the letters of the name or how it was pronounced. It
> is obvious that when God said to Moses: "I know you by name" (Ex 33:12),
> it meant that he knew the personality and deeds of Moses; he knew Moses
> intimately. In Ex 34:5-7 YHWH proclaimed the name of YHWH, and that did
> not mean that he pronounced the name, but rather that the attributes of
> God was proclaimed. In the song of Moses it is said: "for I shall
> declare the name of YHWH," and that includes God's dealings with
> Israel and a description of his personality.
>
> When Moses asks about the name of God in Ex 3:13, there is no problem
> with the view that YHWH first shows that he will be known as one who
> both has a purpose and who fulfills that purpose (I will prove to be
> what I will prove to be"), and "`I will prove to be` has sent me to
> you." If we compare Ex 3:14 with the passages above, we see that this
> verse alone would be a full answer to the question "What is his name?"
> In addition, we find God's personal name in 3:15. Thus, both his purpose
> and his personal name identify him. On this basis I see no reason to
> use )hye with present reference in 3:14 when it in most other cases has
> future reference.
>
> If Ex 3:13-15 is written to teach the readers that YHWH is a form of the
> Hebrew verb HYH or the Aramaic verb HWH, there is a problem with the
> grammatical persons. If YHWH is a verb, it must be third person
> singular, but should we not expect first person singular as in )ehye?
>

> Best regards
>
> Rolf Furuli
> University of Oslo
>
> kgraham0938 AT comcast.net wrote:
>
> >@Rolf:
> >
> >Hey Rolf, I think the reason why many translators as well as myself
> >translate
> 'EH:YEH 'E$ER 'EH:YEH as I AM who I AM as opposed to I will be who I will
> be is
> based upon Moses' statement to YHWH in the previous verse. He says
> >
> >" And they will say to me what is his name? What do I say to them?"
> >
> >Moses:[question] What is your name?
> >YHWH:[answer] I will be who I will be
> >
> >Then he goes on to say " Tell them I will be sent you."
> >
> >Does not make any sense. I will be who I will be does not answer the
> >question.
> And secondly if 'EH:YEH is a 1cs of YHWH (3ms), translated as "I will be"
> then
> you'd have to translate YHWH as "He will be."
> >--
> >Kelton Graham
> >KGRAHAM0938 AT comcast.net

>From threetreepoint AT earthlink.net Thu May 5 16:09:59 2005

h=User-Agent:Date:Subject:From:To:Message-ID:Mime-version:Content-type:Content-transfer-encoding;
b=RWiGRuc36hVsumpHtgkAS+YCWyTcOSF2VBKWddxcgpejigwpI1BMHdNnjIwKFj05;