b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Why Semitic languages had no written vowels?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Yigal Levin" <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Why Semitic languages had no written vowels?
  • Date: Mon, 2 May 2005 09:19:17 +0200

Dear all,

While I have been hesitant about getting into this one and while I have no
fully-formulated opinion of my own, Karl's statement below is not
necessarily true. As a native speaker of modern Hebrew, I find it quite
natural to use the piel in certain contexts and the qal in others, without
having to think of the rules first. Most roots use either one or the other.
I would never say "davar" for "he said" - only "dibber". "Lamad" means "he
learned"; "limmed" is "he taught". No ambiguity about it. Yes, there are
words that can have several related meanings, just like in any language, but
the native speaker learns to tell the difference. A language is first
spoken, only later written, and this was as true in the Iron Age as it is
now.

Yigal