b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Human Sacrafice & 2 Sam 21

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: <tladatsi AT charter.net>
  • To: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>, George F Somsel <gfsomsel AT juno.com>
  • Cc: VadimCherny AT mail.ru, tladatsi AT charter.net, b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Human Sacrafice & 2 Sam 21
  • Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2005 22:25:48 +0000

Hello,

I think your points are well taken. 2 Sam 21 is a story of
human sacrafice. Yahweh causes a famine in response to
Saul's crime. The famine causes widespread suffering. The
death of Saul's sons and grandsons satisfies God as the
Saul's crime is atoned for, and the famine ends. Since
Saul is dead, he cannot atone for his own sins, so it be
dealt with (or visited) by God upon Saul's sons and
grandsons. David has correctly understood the issues and
dealth with them in a manner that effects the end of the
famine.

This is the only point I was trying to make - in the OT,
there are cases of later generations being dealt with by
God in negative fashion to atone for the sins of earlier
generations. Most people would describe this as
punishment. I dare if I were killed and impaled on a pole
for an entire barley season to atone for a sin my
grandfather committed, I would describe it as punishment.

Jack Tladatsi