b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] children bear punishment for sins of parents ?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Walter R. Mattfeld" <mattfeld12 AT charter.net>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] children bear punishment for sins of parents ?
  • Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2005 19:24:17 -0400

Chris wrote:-

No where in the bible do we read about the children being punished for
the sins of the fathers. And I would vehemently challenge anyone to show
this.

Bill Rea wrote:
How then do you understand Joshua 7? Achan takes devoted material,
Achan and his children are stoned to death, their bodies are
burned and YHWH turns from his anger. It sure looks like the children
got punished for the sin of their father.

Expanding this line of inquiry,"the children bearing the sins of the fathers," are there any Hebrew Bible verses that identify all the generations of mankind and womankind as bearing punishment for Adam and Eve's sin ? That is to say, all the generations of mankind are in a sense Adam and Eve's "children" and they bear the sin of their progenitors ?

Regards, Walter
Walter Reinhold Warttig Mattfeld y de la Torre, M.A. Ed.
mattfeld12 AT charter.net

  • [b-hebrew] children bear punishment for sins of parents ?, Walter R. Mattfeld, 04/17/2005