b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Judges 4:11 & Joshua 15:57

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Yigal Levin" <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Judges 4:11 & Joshua 15:57
  • Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 11:54:16 +0200

Hi Jack,

The town of Qayin (Kain) in Josh 15.57 has been identfied at Hkirbet Nebi
Yaqin, NE of Ziph. The relationship between this town and the Kenites is a
good idea (and I'm sure has been thought of), but I doubt that it would have
been their main encampment. 1 Sam. 15:6 has Saul tell the Kenites to get out
of Amalekite territory before his attack. In 1 Sam. 27:10, David tells
Achish that he raided "the Negeb of the Kenites". Both of these references
would place the Kenites in the Negeb (i.e. the Beer-Sheba - Arad valley);
the town of Qayin is farther north, in the eastern Judean hill-country. It
is possible, however, that it was settled by a "branch" of the Kenites that
had wandered into the hills.

In any case, the wording of Judges 4:11 "niphrad m..." always reffers, as
far as I can remember, to "taking leave" of a person ("Kain" here being
treated as a collective personality), never a place.

Yigal