b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] massoretic Text variants

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Justin Savino" <dojustly AT ev1.net>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] massoretic Text variants
  • Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 23:34:33 -0400

Greetings,

I am new on the list. My name is Justin Savino and a Seminary student who
is in love with Hebrew. I would love to know, from anyone who knows first
hand or who can point me to a resource, what the major variant readings are
amongst the versions. Apart from vowel differences, plene and defective
spellings, and other unessential spelling alterations what are the major
variants amongst the manuscripts? Particularly I am interested in the major
variant readings between the three major texts that underlie the modern
protestant Bible, (Biblia Hebriaca Strugartensia, 2nd Great Rabbinic Bible-
Ben Chayyim text, and 1494 Brescia Soncino Bible that Luther used). So far
painstakingly combing the textual apparatus of BHS and Ginsburg's massive
work have yielded have yielded a few interesting changes. One interesting one
is Exodus 5:22 is the difference in the word for Lord in the opening address
of Moses to God. Luther's version follows the 1494 Breccias Soncino bibles in
making it the sacred name of God translating it "HERR" while the KJV and
modern translations following BHS and the Bomberg Bible make the lowercase
word "Lord" following the word "adonai."
This stuff fascinates me and will be the subject of a paper I am writing so
any input would be valuable. Robert Dick Wilson says that there are 150,000
consonant differences in the Massoretic text families. If someone could clue
me into how one can get a look at those differences that would save me a
whole lot of time. NO need to re-invent the wheel.

Justin Savino
wymxr wlk-al yk wnmt-al yk hwhy ydox

Lam 3:22