b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] V'NaKeH Lo YiNaKeH Translation dependant solely upon context

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "B. M. Rocine" <brocine AT twcny.rr.com>
  • To: "B-Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] V'NaKeH Lo YiNaKeH Translation dependant solely upon context
  • Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 17:38:28 -0400

Hi Chris, You wrote,

It seems to me by comparing the exact phrase in other scriptures that there
are 'subtle' indications that the translation is a translation of
"Understanding" and "Interpretation" rather than of "Grammar and syntax".

right. This is why I added a little comment in my last post about the difference between translation and explanation. It is very difficult to resist explaining, and probably every translation crosses the line into explanation at least occasionally.

What compounds my lack of understanding is that, for example, Jeremiah
49:12 where the Inf.Absolute is Qal and the finite verb following it is
Niphal, reflexive back to the object -- this is clear. Except one slight
problem, it has been stated that the piel of NKH means to aquit. What does
the qal signify? I just feel that the English translations are in-precise
and too free with whatever word they feel seems to best describe the
interpretation. Am I wrong? then please show me. (there is, I see, a
masoretic note to this but I have no access to these things). But whatever
the case it seems that the translation is still free to translate it as the
same as always - he shall not go unpunished. or the antithesis -- he shall
surely be punished!!! But this latter is a dangerous understanding. for then
we would have to change completely Jeremiah 30:11 would'nt we? and say that
God is going to punish Israel in the same way that He will punish the
Nations. After all this is how the construction is translated elswhere.

Qal and Niphal mean "be acquitted" or "be cleared"
Piel means "to acquit"

I notice in Genesis 24:41, first phrase where we read "then you shall be
CLEARED from this oath" Niphal. Released from the burden of this
responsibility obviously,

Jeremiah 25:29, here we read Two Niphals. yet the translators have bored us
yet again with the same repetitous exclamation. "you will not go unpunished"
(Please forgive the frustration).

Actually there are three Niphals. That's why the repetition. The repitition is in the Hebrew, too.

Shalom,
Bryan

B. M. Rocine
Living Word Church