b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Samek-Peh-Ayin ordering

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Samek-Peh-Ayin ordering
  • Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2005 23:23:11 -0500

Joel:

Is it possible that a settle aleph bet was not developed until later? Just as
strict spelling rules weren’t developed until much later, so the order of
letters
within an abecedary also were somewhat fluid?

Or is it possible that poets considered an exact following of an aleph bet
optional? For example, Psalm 119 has the modern order, but Psalm 145 skips
the nun.

Karl W. Randoph.