b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Cain & Kenites

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Cain & Kenites
  • Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2005 22:54:51 -0500

Dear tladatsi:

The descendents of Cain were all killed off in the Flood, so we are not
dealing with a tribal connection between them.

Secondly, though it was not that common, there are examples in Tanakh of
people being given names that other people already had. Also we must not
leave out the possibility that QYNY may be a name that has its roots in a
different language, and it is only by chance that it shared the same spelling
as
the name for Cain in Hebrew.

Karl W. Randolph.