b-hebrew - =?iso-8859-1?q?Re:_[b-hebrew]_etymology?_--_[was_=BB"virgin"_v?= _s._"young_woman"_in_Isaiah_7:14=AB]?=

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: =?iso-8859-1?q?Re:_[b-hebrew]_etymology?_--_[was_=BB"virgin"_v?= _s._"young_woman"_in_Isaiah_7:14=AB]?=
  • Date: Sun, 03 Apr 2005 23:37:44 -0500

On the Ugaritic, I'll have to double check. The last source I read indicated
that its surviving texts were from about the same time as Raamses II the
Great or later, which was centuries after Moses wrote Torah (e.g.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ugarit ). Apparently there's some disagreement?

I already wrote that the only evidence I have is the internal dates indicated
in the documents themselves.

But as for the "consensus of scholarship", it is like the emporer with no
clothes. The whole "consensus of scholarship" has no evidence to back up its
claims. Since it is the "consensus of scholarship" that has taken on itself
to claim that Tanakh's internal dates are wrong, it is incumbant upon the
"consensus of scholarship" to show the reasons for their claims. That has not
been done. Instead, with hubris, the "consensus of scholarship" has taken on
itself to discern "sources" where there is no physical evidence that such
sources ever existed. Find those original documents, in Hebrew, and you'll
have people like me singing a different tune.

Instead, the earliest copies extant, indicate from their context, that they
were copies of documents that predated them by centuries, basically unchanged.

I have already posted on this list that there is a recognizable development
of the language, if we take the internal dates of those documents that
claimed dates when they were written.

As for the Siloam inscription, its existance says almost nothing about the
development of the Hebrew language. We need 1000 more that length or longer
that are datable from about Moses to Alexander the Great, before we can point
to stylistic reasons to doubt Tanakh's internal dates. And they must be in
Biblical Hebrew. Well....where are they? Are there even 100?

The lack of physical evidence for either "consensus of scholarship" or for
the traditional dates means that both views are more dependent on philosophy
(a synonym for "religion") than archeology or history. With that being the
case, neither view should be pushed as normative on any truly scholarly forum.

Karl W. Randolph.