b-hebrew - =?iso-8859-1?q?Re:_[b-hebrew]_etymology?_--_[was_=BB"virgin"_v?= s. "young woman" in Isaiah 7:14«]

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: =?iso-8859-1?q?Re:_[b-hebrew]_etymology?_--_[was_=BB"virgin"_v?= s. "young woman" in Isaiah 7:14«]
  • Date: Sun, 03 Apr 2005 19:54:09 -0500

Uri:

There is only one root that is actually expressed in Tanakh, and in looking
at all the derivitives used in Tanakh, there is no indication that there are
any unexpressed roots.

The Arabic is a different language from a millenium later. Proto-Semitic is
merely postulated based on presuppositions I believe are in error, based on
the documented histories of some other languages. Ugaritic post-dates the
earliest Hebrew by centuries, besides being a cognate language. Just because
a cognate language has a phone or phoneme, does not mean that B-Hebrew ever
had it. The same with lexemes. Just because a cognate language used a lexeme
a certain way, does not mean that B-Hebrew ever used it in the same way.

Now I know that you disagree with much of what I claim. That doesn’t bother
me. But you have absolutely no historical data to back up your claims. All I
have in the internal claims of the extant documents. You, as the one
challenging the internal claims, need to show actual data to show why the
internal dates are not to be trusted. So far you have shown none, at least
none that is based on history or linguistics. In fact, I wouldn’t be
surprised if some of what you think is evidence is anachronistic application
of post-Biblical Hebrew or even cognate languages to Biblical Hebrew.

In closing, I have seen no evidence from within B-Hebrew that would indicate
that (LMH is other than the technical term for “virgin”. There are a couple
of verses that at least hint that BTWLH could be one who is not a virgin.

Similarly that the root (LM means other than to make or be unknown. True, it
is often used in the hiphil or causitive format, making it a synonym of STR
to hide, but that does not change the root meaning of unknownness.

As for the theological implications of taking (LMH as “virgin” in Isaiah
7:14, that is outside the pervue of this discussion list.

Karl W. Randolph.