b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] 2 Kings 18:16 - Pillars??

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Jim West <jwest AT highland.net>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] 2 Kings 18:16 - Pillars??
  • Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2005 00:08:54 +0100

On 31/03/2005 23:38, Jim West wrote:

Peter Kirk wrote:

Not necessarily. The word as written may well be a participle of 'MN "support", and so would suggest something like "supports", rather than "doorposts" which support only doors.

And what pray tell do you think the posts are supporting?

The temple, most probably. The phrase reads 'ET-DALTOT HEYKAL YHWH W:ET-HA'OMNOT. I note that there is no possessive suffix on HA'OMNOT which could resolve the ambiguity of whether these are supports/pillars of the doors or supports/pillars of the temple. Indeed the lack of any possessive suffix tends to support my suggestion that HA'OMNOT are not related to either the doors or the temple, but are something separate.

But there are many other concepts which could fit the context. The BHS margin notes a Latin version "clypeos", meaning "shields"; the suggestion there is that this is a textual error for MAGINNOT - not the French defensive line, but the Hebrew equivalent, "shields" - but quite possible 'OMEN could mean "shield", as an extension of "what is relied upon".

Which makes no sense in the context and is dismissed by many commentators.

And from 1 Kings 14:26-28 we have evidence of gold shields associated with royalty and the temple - replaced with bronze by Rehoboam, but it is quite plausible that Hezekiah had restored gold or at least gold-plated shields.

This is the crucial evidence which shows that "shields" does make sense in the context. (Note that I am not supporting the textual emendation, but suggesting a different meaning for the extant Hebrew text.) Rehoboam was forced to pay off Shishak with golden shields. Hezekiah was forced to pay off Sennacherib with golden 'OMNOT. The parallel is so close that it is almost compelling, in my opinion.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)