b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] John Gill and his dissertation

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "wattswestmaas" <wattswestmaas AT eircom.net>
  • To: "B-Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.Ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] John Gill and his dissertation
  • Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2005 18:48:24 -0000

Dear Karl,
Actually I agree with you, mostly. I do not adopt any opinion on this
matter and at least the discovery of the DSS, which is unpointed, says
something.

It is a simple case that Gill has presented a number of arguments that I
find difficult to ignore. It would be for example interesting to have the
following satisfactorily explained.

He compares Genesis 10:3-4 and 1 Chronicles 1:6 where Riphath and Dodanim
become Diphath and Rodanim in Chronicles saying that it is impossible to
mistake a RESH for a DALET if texts were copied from non-sqaure script. He
actually lists quite a few examples but I have just put one here. It sems
that the dalet and the resh are often mixed up. Now these letters are VERY
clear in other scripts right. So what is the answer please?

I am going to admit that I am missing something, simply because I am sure
that scholars the world over are aware of these and the belief that hebrew
was never a square script in the time of moses would have changed a little
if this as not satisfactorily explained.

Chris