b-hebrew - RE: [b-hebrew] DSS Orthography

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Ken Penner" <pennerkm AT mcmaster.ca>
  • To: "'James Bowick'" <bowick AT idirect.com>, "'Hebrew'" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: RE: [b-hebrew] DSS Orthography
  • Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 14:06:38 -0500

> I don't understand, Ken. If 1QIsa'a is descendent from a
> text identical to
> the proto-Masoretic, how can it be that the reverse - that the
> proto-Masoretic is identical to the source text of 1QIsa'a
> not be true?
> What am I missing?

You changed Kutscher's "a text of the type of" to "the source text of".
There are changes between 1QIsa^a and its ancestor, changes that are not
present in the MT.
1QIsa^a is a bachelor (great-)uncle to the MT. They share a common ancestor,
but the MT is not descended from its uncle.

Ken Penner, M.C.S. (Biblical Languages, Greek Focus), M.A. (Hebrew Poetry)
Ph.D. (cand.), McMaster University
pennerkm AT mcmaster.ca
Flash! Pro vocabulary software: http://s91279732.onlinehome.us/flash or