b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Samaritan script/proto-hebrew

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: wattswestmaas <wattswestmaas AT eircom.net>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.Ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Samaritan script/proto-hebrew
  • Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 21:25:33 +0000

On 17/03/2005 20:26, wattswestmaas wrote:

To the point - My question: The samaritan script? It surely must have been
the assyrian script as well? Sice the people that were moved to Northern
Israel at the time of its emptying of hebrews were from Assyria and Chaldea
right? So they would have brought their writing with them? I have a
document before me that gives the impression that the samaritans adopted the
old aramaic/proto hebrew - which seems totally absurd!

It may seem absurd, but it is demonstrably true. The Samaritan script is based on the pre-exilic palaeo-Hebrew. But the later Hebrew is based on the already divergent script in use in Babylonia etc during the time of the Exile, and which was presumably brought back from there by the returning exiles.

Remember that the Samaritan priests were Israelites, 2 Kings 17:27-28, and Samaritan literacy probably came through them.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)