b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] DSS --> MT silent letters and vowel-points

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Schmuel <schmuel AT escape.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] DSS --> MT silent letters and vowel-points
  • Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 12:40:53 +0000

On 15/03/2005 12:29, Schmuel wrote:

Schmuel
Thank you Peter and Karl. My sense is that Hebrew was a continuing language,
but I claim no particular scholarship expertise :-)

I have a semi-technical question vis a vis the scholarship mentioned above.

To what extent do we have a good study on these changes, and to what extent
are they handled uniformly in Masoretic vowel pointing. (on those examples
where we might see the spelling differences so represented)

Has anybody done a study saying along these lines..
a) here are x dozen silent alefs in such and such a section of the DSS
b) here are the same words in the Masoretic Text, with the following letters and vowel-points c) this shows such and such a consistency/inconsistency in usage.

I wish I could answer you, but I don't real scholarship expertise in this either, I am relying on what others have written. But maybe there are others on this list who can answer this.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)