b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] 'iysh and zakar

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Uri Hurwitz <uhurwitz AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • Cc: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] 'iysh and zakar
  • Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 08:47:46 -0800 (PST)

Well, does the English word "man" refer to the masculine gender, as one
would think, or really to both masculine and feminie? The term "mankind" or
the expression "everyman" does refer genrally to both sexes.
Which raises a question about your examples: what conclusions about a rule
can one derive from the exceptions?

Uri

Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org> wrote:

But 'ish by no means always refers to an adult male, although doubtless
it does in this context in Leviticus. It is commonly used in a much
weaker sense "each", where the referents may include women as in Job
42:11, 1 Chronicles 16:3, and inanimate objects as in 1 Kings 7:30,36.
And similarly in an indefinite sense, Psalm 1:1 is hardly restricted in
application to adult males.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)