b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Isaiah 26:10

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Charles Wiese" <cwiese AT mail.altelco.net>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Isaiah 26:10
  • Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 01:48:49 -0500

Gesenius' Hebrew grammar 159b,c it reads:

"2. The relation between condition and consequence may be expressed, as in
English, by the simple juxtaposition of two clauses. At the same time, it is
to be observed in general as a fundamental rule (in accordance with the
original character of the two tenses), that the imperfect, with its
equivalents (the jussive, cohortative, imperative, perfect consecutive, and
participle), is used to express a condition and consequence which are
regarded as being capable of fulfilment in present or future time, while the
perfect represents a condition already fulfilled in the past, and its
consequence as an accomplished fact. The other use of the perfect - to
represent conditions regarded as impossible - occurs only in connexion with
particles.

Examples: -
(a) Imperfect (cf. § 107 x) in protasis and apodosis, Jos 22:18, y Ps
104:28 ff. !Wj+qol.yI2 ~h,l' !TeTi (if) thou givest unto them, they gather,
&c.; y Ps 139:18, Pr 12:17, Jb 20:24, Ec 1:18, Neh 1:8; with an interrogative
imperfect in the apodosis, Ju 13:12; with the jussive, Jb 10:16; with the
cohortative, Pr. 1:23; with the perfect, Is 26:10 (yet will he not learn
righteousness; the apodosis forcibly denies what the imperfect in the
protasis had represented as still conceivable; cf. Ho 8:12); with the perfect
consecutive, Gn 47:25, Ex 33:5; with the protasis suppressed, Jb 5:8 (see §
107 x).

I am involved in a theological discussion at present in another forum but
nobody on list including myself knows Hebrew very well. So, as I am
understanding Gesenius, he seems to be saying that the sentence is
hypothetical. To paraphrase the sentence would say something like "Even if
God did give grace to the wicked they would not act righteously." Am I
correct in my understanding of what Gesenius says here? If so, my next
question is if there is reason to believe that Gesenius is mistaken in what
he says on this construction? Keil & Delitzsch seem to agree with him but
Oswalt seems to go a different route. Yet, Oswalt does not adress Gesenius'
statement.

Sincerely,
Chuck Wiese
Grand Rapids, MI