b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Re: Job 34.10-29 (was: Syntax of Jeremiah 15:12)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Re: Job 34.10-29 (was: Syntax of Jeremiah 15:12)
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 14:27:58 -0500

George:

Just out of curiosity, whose translation did you transcribe below?

It doesn't feel like an awkward translation with many hebreisms as I would
expect from a scholar to scholar translation, rather it feels more like a
modern paraphrase (to use a term in a way Peter Kirk objects (sorry, Peter
;-( )) targetted at an audience who doesn't know Hebrew.

Furthermore, there were several places where I question the translation, such
as v. 29 where to pronounce wicked (piel verb here?) is translated as
"condemn" and in v. 10 "men of heart" comes out as "reflective men"? How so?
In v. 20 the noun (M people is omitted.

Karl W. Randolph.