b-hebrew - Fw: [b-hebrew] correct to Deut 6:9 (was 9:6)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Yigal Levin" <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Fw: [b-hebrew] correct to Deut 6:9 (was 9:6)
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 23:17:05 +0200

Just as an idea, might not the difference be attributed to the type of
houses and "gates" that existed at the times the two texts were written. The
typical Israelite house of the Iron Age was a "four-roomed house", with no
real "courtyard". The only "gate", then, would have been the gate of the
town (which may have been just a hamlet with a fence). In the fifth century
CE Roman city that Jerome knew, many houses may have had courtyards of their
own.
Just a thought.

Yigal Levin