b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Syntax of Jeremiah 15:12

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Jim West <jwest AT highland.net>
  • To: Heard Christopher <Christopher.Heard AT pepperdine.edu>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Syntax of Jeremiah 15:12
  • Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2005 11:38:05 -0500

At 11:15 AM 1/4/2005, you wrote:

Plus, I am really looking for _syntactical_ help here. Note that NRSV and
JPS generate _opposite_ questions from this sentence: "Can iron and bronze
break iron?" NRSV vs. "Can iron break iron and bronze?" JPS. I need a
"sentence diagram," but I can't quite figure what to put where.

Chris

For Christmas I got all three volumes of Jack Lundbom's commentary on Jeremiah in the Anchor Bible. Here's how he renders 15:12-- "Can iron break iron from the north and bronze?" He recommends that we disassociate "iron from the north" from "foe from the north". Further, the phrase refers to Jeremiah himself (cf 1:18). "The meaning is then: 'can iron-clad enemies break an even stronger iron and bronze Jeremiah? Answer: of course not!"

This interpretation has a lot to commend it.

Jim

Jim West, ThD

http://biblical-studies.blogspot.com Biblical Theology Weblog