b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Alleged meaning of ecclesia in OT

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Heard, Christopher" <Christopher.Heard AT pepperdine.edu>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Alleged meaning of ecclesia in OT
  • Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2004 20:40:16 -0800

Dora, I'm not Karl but I think I can help.

On 12/21/04 8:08 PM, "Dora Smith" <villandra AT austin.rr.com> wrote:
> What are the meanings of:

> QHL
"Assembly" or "gathering." Look at: Gen 28:3 "... that you may become a QHL
of peoples"; Num 20:10 "Moses and Aaron QHL-ed the QHL ..." Sometimes QHL is
used especially for the worshiping assembly, as in Deut 23:3 "No Ammonite or
Moabite may enter the QHL of the LORD ..." Yet this sense is provided by the
context, not the word, which can be used for any sort of gathering, as for
example in Num 15:15, "They QHL-ed against Moses and Aaron" (note that this
is the verb QHL, not the noun QHL in this instance).

> LHQT
LHQT is the "construct" or "bound" form of LHQH, which apparently means
"company, group, band." As far as I can determine, it appears only once in
the Tanakh, in 1 Sam 19:20, "When they saw the LHQH of the prophets
'prophesying' ..."

> MW(D
"Appointed time" or "appointed place." The phrase "tent of meeting," which
occurs often in the Torah, is "tent of MW(D." The LXX renders )HL MW(D "tent
of meeting" as te skene tou martouriou, "the tent of the testimony." When
MW(D means "appointed time," LXX appears to have mostly used kairos "time."

There's another Hebrew word that means something like "congregation," (DH.
The LXX seems (in the Torah at least) to normally render QHL as ekklesia and
(DH as sunagoge ("collection, gathering, synagogue").

--
R. Christopher Heard
Assistant Professor of Religion