b-hebrew - RE: Fwd: [b-hebrew] Re: g(r Psa. 106:9 - exorcism? (B. M. Rocine)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Jerry Shepherd" <jerry.shepherd AT taylor-edu.ca>
  • To: "Jim West" <jwest AT highland.net>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: RE: Fwd: [b-hebrew] Re: g(r Psa. 106:9 - exorcism? (B. M. Rocine)
  • Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 14:45:50 -0700

Jim and Yigal,

In spite of your misgivings with regard to the yam soph emendation for
yam suph, I'd like to suggest that it is at least a reasonable proposal.
I have found Batto's articles on this to be quite persuasive (BAR 10.4
[1984]: 57-63, and more fully, "The Reed Sea: Requiescat in Pace," JBL
102 [1983]: 27-35). Everytime time yam suph is referred to in the Bible
it seems to refer to either the Gulf of Suez or the Gulf of Aqaba. To
translate as "reed sea" in 1 Kings 9:26, e.g., seems to me to be very
problematic. "Sea of the End," therefore, would then be making
reference to the two gulfs and the Indian Ocean to which they are
connected, on which ships heading southernly or southwesternly could
very easily be understood as heading in a direction where there is no
more land. I haven't, however, kept up with scholarly reaction to
Batto's articles.

Blessings,

Jerry

Dr. Jerry E. Shepherd