b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Fw: old coin

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Yigal Levin" <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Fw: old coin
  • Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2004 06:07:04 +0200

----- Original Message -----
From: Yigal Levin
To: Joseph Fishkin, MD
Sent: Monday, December 06, 2004 8:08 AM
Subject: Re: old coin

Dear Yosi,

To me, it does not look like a coin at all, that is, not something with any
monetary value. It's not "ancient"; the lettering is perfectly normal, if
somewhat archaic, square Hebrwew script. The letters seem to make up various
combinations of the divine name. My guess would be that it is a token or a
medallion, perhaps an amulet that was supposed to have some sort of
kabbalistic power. As a guess, it's no older than the 19th century.
Yigal