b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Question on 18th Dynasty Egypt (Peter Kirk)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Question on 18th Dynasty Egypt (Peter Kirk)
  • Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 12:05:57 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: gfsomsel AT juno.com

> On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 08:41:43 -0600 "Stoney Breyer"
> <stoneyb AT touchwood.net> writes:

Now that you remind me, the Indians of northern California had neither wooden
bowls nor pottery, but developed a way of weaving grass baskets so tightly
that they were waterproof. To cook, they did as George mentioned, heated
stones in a fire, then dropped them in the soup.

Can you imagine the archeological record left by baskets that rot in a few
months?

What are the linguistic clues in Torah concerning the cooking utensiles?

When they left Egypt they had kneading troughs, most likely made of wood.
During the wanderings, there is mentioned grinding and boiling of food, which
presuppose some sort of utensiles. Roasting of birds could be done with a
handy stick. Are there any other linguistic clues?

If they had carried pottery, would it have been different from that in
Canaan? If they left during the Hyksos reign as I believe, would they not
have used pottery identical to the Hyksos ware, therefore almost identical to
that used in Canaan, therefore the invasion would not show up in the
archeological record if based on pottery?

Sign-up for Ads Free at Mail.com
http://promo.mail.com/adsfreejump.htm