b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew spoken in 1st century

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew spoken in 1st century
  • Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 16:50:55 -0500

Ken:

In your seven questions below, 5-7 clearly are No, so they're off the table.
One and two are clearly yes, so they too are off the table.

#4, what's the definition of uneducated people? In the modern West, a person
with a third grade education is considered uneducated, but in old China,
pre-Pol Pot Cambodia and many other places on the planet, that is a decent
education. My understanding is that typical males if not also females, got
around a sixth grade education, which included learning the basics of
speaking Hebrew. But such a person would be considered uneducated by the
priestly caste, who expected an educated person to go on for years after the
basic schooling and that one who stopped at about sixth grade was
"uneducated". So which definition?

#3 can have two meanings: the language one learns at home before learning any
other languages, or the language one knows best and is most facile in
speaking. It is possible that one learns one language at home, but speaks
another one more fluently. I know many children of immigrants who learned
their parents' language first and later English: when they want to speak
about simple things, they are at home in both languages. But when they want
to discuss complex subjects, they switch to English as it is the language
they know better. English has become their first language, the language they
turn to first when discussing complex subjects.

I would answer a qualified yes for question #4 and a qualified no for
question #3. There is no evidence that I know of anyone in the first century
learned Hebrew at his mother's knee, but I'm not going to state that
categorically (give me some wiggle room :-) ).

Karl W. Randolph.