b-hebrew - RE: [b-hebrew] Observations on verb forms

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Ken Penner" <pennerkm AT mcmaster.ca>
  • To: "'James Bowick'" <bowick AT idirect.com>, <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: RE: [b-hebrew] Observations on verb forms
  • Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2004 11:11:08 -0500

Hi James,

I have produced a reference sheet of Hebrew roots which may be written
without all three radicals:
http://s91279732.onlinehome.us/reference/Weak%20Roots.pdf
These include:
1-Yod (etymological 1-Waw)
1-Nun
2-Yod / 2-Waw
3-He (etymological 3-Yod)
2=3 (Geminates)

(On page two I also present them sorted by the two remaining visible
radicals.)

Note that the 1-Yod will not be present in the Qal imperative and Qal
infinitive construct, although these have no prefix.
Likewise for some 1-Nun verbs.
3-He is not present in Jussive and Wayyiqtol forms, even when no suffix is
present; and the Qal passive participle has 3-Yod.

Hope this helps,

Ken Penner
McMaster/Hebrew
Flash! Pro vocabulary software: http://s91279732.onlinehome.us/flash or