b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Difference between the Hebrew Bible and Septuagint in the Shema?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Christopher V. Kimball" <kimball AT ntplx.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Difference between the Hebrew Bible and Septuagint in the Shema?
  • Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2004 15:35:21 -0400

Here's a puzzle to me in Mark 12:29 (NRSV):

Jesus answered, "The first is this: 'Hear, O Israel: the Lord our God, the Lord is one; you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind, and with all your strength.'

4 objects end the "with all your ..." clause, the Hebrew Bible has only 3 objects ending the clause in Deut 6:5.

The difference is trivial, but does it say something about the text available to Mark or his knowledge of the Shema? Is it a Septuagint/Hebrew Bible difference?

Chris Kimball