b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] A question on the segollate words

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "VC" <vadim_lv AT center-tv.net>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] A question on the segollate words
  • Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 14:08:34 +0300

> >Recently, a student inquired me of the origin of segollate words (kelev).
I have never particularly dwelled on the problem, and a quick search both in
the library and Internet did not produce much suggestions.

> See Gesenius et al section 84a part I, which gives a clear explanation
> of the origin of segholates from originally monosyllabic forms, based on
> evidence from Arabic etc. Gesenius' explanation is quite different from
> your speculative one.

Well, Gesenius simply presumes the kitl form. Its presence in modern Arabic
does not prove in any way its antiquity. Such form is extremely atypical for
Hebrew, and unless someone demonstrates where the kitl came from, this is
not an explanation, but rephrasing of a problem.

Sincerely,

Vadim Cherny