b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Tov's Textual Criticism of the Hebrew Bible

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Dave Washburn <dwashbur AT nyx.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Tov's Textual Criticism of the Hebrew Bible
  • Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 09:06:37 -0600

Mark,

On Thursday 23 September 2004 08:04, Mark Wessner wrote:
> Thanks for the insight, Dave. Does he provide any rationale for his change
> of opinion?

Not that I could see. It appears that he just became enamored with form
criticism, but that's nothing more than a semi-educated guess on my part.

The other major changes he listed in the intro are mainly examinations of a
handful of DSS that weren't available to him in the first edition, but I
didn't really find them worth the price of buying a new edition.

> PS. What do you think of Broztman's view of the same topic (Old Testament
> Textual Criticism, 1994)? He does not go to the same depth as Tov, but he
> is more readable (and he deals with a slightly longer timeframe).

I haven't had a chance to read that one.

--
Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur