b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Re: Species of genitive (James D. Price)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: DrJDPrice AT aol.com
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Re: Species of genitive (James D. Price)
  • Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 23:11:53 EDT

Dave Washburn:
<<
James,
This is fascinating. I have been working for several years on the idea that
the construct relation in Hebrew is actually built on a reduced verbal
clause, a clause built around what I call a "relator" verb (i.e. one that
semantically denotes some sort of relationship). I prefer the term "clause"
over "sentence" and hence I usually notate S as Cl, but that's mainly just a
quibble over terminology. In any case, what I speculate is

N - V(r) - N --> N(cs) - N

which to me looks a lot like your map above. What do you think?

It looks very similar. Actually, my theory of phrases goes back to a more
general rule that I propose accounts for all phrases:

X|S(X) * T(ds) ==> X + Modifier

where X may be N, A, D, or V [noun, adjective, adverb, verb]; and T(ds) is a
deletion-substitution transformation. While the "|" may often be similar to
a relative pronoun where
X = N, that condition is not necessary in general. S may be a clause in its
simplest form, but is not limited to a clause.

I presented a paper on the syntax of Hebrew noun phrases a few years ago at
a regional ETS meeting. Anyone interested in a copy may contact me off line.

Jim Price