b-hebrew - Re: Hebrew month names, was [b-hebrew] Thera quote

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Yigal Levin" <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Hebrew month names, was [b-hebrew] Thera quote
  • Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 07:36:01 +0200

Actually, Karl, "Abib" as used in P and D seems to be less the name of a
month than of a season. Literally, Abib means "ripened barley" (cf. Ex. 9:31
and Lev. 2:14), and so literally, "keep the Passover in the month in which
the barley ripens". This, of course, is because of the connection between
the Passover and the Omer, the offering of the first grain harvest. Since
this "month of harvest" became the first month of the year, "Abib" became
the actual name of the first month - the Babylonian Nisan.

In later Hebrew, BTW, when "Aviv" was no longer used as the name of a month,
it became the name of the spring season - as well as that of my youngest
son, who was actually born at the end of Adar.

Yigal