b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Shishak

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: MarianneLuban AT aol.com
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Shishak
  • Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 12:59:58 EDT

In a message dated 8/27/2004 10:39:26 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
dwashbur AT nyx.net writes:

> > dwashbur AT nyx.net writes:
> > > "Hebrew is Hebrew." Would you say the same thing about
> > > English? Is modern American English the same as Middle English or
> > > Anglo-Saxon English? This is absurd
> >
> > They are still English. And how come I can read the Torah in Hebrew for
> > the most part when all I know is modern Hebrew? Explain that. If it's so
> > different.
>
> I have no idea whether you're reading with accurate comprehension, just
> sounding out words, or blowing smoke. I haven't seen you do much of
> anything
> with Hebrew yet. But it's obvious that any explanation that doesn't suit
> your fancy isn't going to get a real hearing. So I'm out of this.

Yes, you do have no idea. And what do you expect me to do with Hebrew? Blow
smoke rings? I have here texts in Middle Egyptian, Neo-Egyptian and
Coptic--all with varying grammar and syntax--and no slight variations. I am
pretty
much inured to such things and--believe it or not--have the intelligence and
lingusitic ability to figure them out.