b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Primary and Secondary Old Testament Witnesses

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "C. Stirling Bartholomew" <jacksonpollock AT earthlink.net>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Primary and Secondary Old Testament Witnesses
  • Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 12:34:21 -0700

On 8/26/04 11:39 AM, "Peter Kirk" <peterkirk AT qaya.org> wrote:

> Maybe. I guess the Vulgate should not be trusted as an independent
> witness when it agrees with LXX or with surviving Old Latin, because
> Jerome might have followed the interpretation he already knew. But when
> it does not agree, it is probably a witness to Jerome's Hebrew text.

Many of the later versions show evidence of LXX(OG) influence. Some like the
Syro-Hexaplar are translations of a greek version. Others appear to follow a
Hebrew vorlage in some books and a greek version in other books. According
to H.B. Swete*The Peshitta follows the MT in the Pentateuch but greek
versions in the minor prophets.

For this and other reasons the LXX(OG) is in somewhat of a different
catagory from most of the later versions. The whole question of versions as
evidence for the text of the OT is very complex. They guy to read on this
is E.Tov**

greetings,
Clay Bartholomew

*Intro to OT in Greek, H.B. Swete, 1914.

**Tov, Emmanuel " The Text-Critical Use of the Septuagint in Biblical
Research." 2nd ed.. Jerusalem: Simor Ltd, 1997