b-hebrew - Re: Re: [b-hebrew] An interesting translation of Psalms 143:2a

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: moon AT mail.sogang.ac.kr
  • To: "George F. Somsel" <gfsomsel AT juno.com>, moon AT mail.sogang.ac.kr
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org, moon AT sogang.ac.kr
  • Subject: Re: Re: [b-hebrew] An interesting translation of Psalms 143:2a
  • Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 15:27:03 +0900

[George]:
> First, your tranliteration is very misleading. Here is the text.
>
> W:)aL_T.fBoW B:Mi$:P.f+ )eT_(aB:D.eKf C.iY Lo)_YiCD.aQ L:PfNeYKf KfL_XfY
>
> Apparently he is deriving "statue" from Mi$P.f+ which makes no sense to me.
> Mi$P.f+ signifies "judgment", "custom", "case [legal]" or even the "pouch
> of judgment" which contained the Urim and Thumim. Moreover, what in the
> world would "Do not reproach your servant with statue" mean?

=> I think he means "Do not reproach your servant by means of _regulations_
of Torah".

One of the first duties of a translator is to make the text comprehensible
-- assuming that the text made sense in the first place. I would say that he
fails miserably here.

[Moon]:
Thanks, George, for your comments. I want to give Boyarin
a benefit of doubt with respect to his reading of Psalms 143:2;
He is a Jew and a Talmud scholar. Let me quote more about his
reading.

------------------
p.119, A Radical Jews:

THe word Mi$P.f+, which I have translated "statue", in other contexts in
Psalms itself,
refers precisely the Jewish Law of Torah,k which explicitly marks off the
Jews from others. "He has spoken his words to Jacob, his laws and _statues_
to Israel. He has not
done so for nay other nation, and _statues_ they do not know" (Psalms
147:16-17).
--------------------

I have noticed that the netbible.come translates Mi$P.f+ as "regulations", and
some Bible translations take it as "ordinances".

So, I did not think that translating Mi$P.f+ to "statue/regulation" would be
so problematic. My concern was (1) the feasiblity of translating
W:)aL_T.fBoW )eT_(aB:D.eKf to "do not come unto your servant",
and whether we can take it to mean "do not reproach your servant".

Sincerely
Moon Jung
Sogang Univ, Seoul, Korea

Moon R. Jung