b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Shishak (was:book)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Yigal Levin" <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Shishak (was:book)
  • Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2004 21:46:06 +0200

Yes, Peter, I am referring to Sheshonq I, who Kitchen dates to 945-924. I
was asking, are there any newer ideas about the dates? And yes, I do equate
him with the Shishak that 1 Kings 14:25 claims threatened Jerusalem and was
bribed off by Rehoboam. The only logical explanation for the author of
King's being able to name the invader AND to insert him into the correct
timeframe, is that he had access to some kind of records or traditions that
went back to the late 10th century. That Sheshonq I did invade Israel is
proven by his own relief at Karnak and by the statue found (unfortunately
not in situ) at Megiddo. That the Bible is interested ONLY in the threat on
Jerusalem, which is not even mentioned in the (extant parts of the) relief,
is a textbook case of the differences between biblical theology and royal
propaganda. None of this is new.

Yigal