b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Shishak (was:book)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: MarianneLuban AT aol.com
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Shishak (was:book)
  • Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2004 13:42:00 EDT

In a message dated 8/22/2004 3:33:10 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il writes:

> And now a few questions:
>
> 1. What's the conventional wisdom on the length of Sheshonq I's reign?
> Manetho gives him 21 years, and the Silsileh quarry inscription is dated to
> his 21st year. However Wente and Redford claim that he ruled 33 years.

While there were four kings named Sheshonq, I presume you mean Sheshonq II.
The length of his rule is certain open to question. Clayton just assigns him
"c. 890".

> 2. What is the correct spelling of his name: Shoshenq, Sheshonq or Shoshenk?
> I know that the Egyptian is written almost without vowels - so how could
> anyone know? What are the reasons for translating the final consonant as Q
> or K?

When Egyptologists aren't certain how something is spelled, they simply
insert the defualt vowel "e". Personally, in this case I don't even know
where the
"o" is derived from. However, in this case the writing definitely contains
the grapheme /q/--which is distinct from /k/--but sometimes these are
interchangeable.

> 3. Is there any independent evidence for the date of his campaign to Israel,
> that is NOT based on the biblical description?
>
> Thank y'all.

Yes, there is the triumphant relief at Karnak, partially damaged, showing the
Canaanite town he captured.