b-hebrew - RE: [b-hebrew] connections b/w semitic and indo-european languages

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peterson, Trevor M 06PETERSON" <06PETERSON AT cua.edu>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [b-hebrew] connections b/w semitic and indo-european languages
  • Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 10:05:11 -0400

It seems like there are a couple of different issues here. The inquiry you
received seems to be more about influence between Hittite, for instance, and
Hebrew (better, Canaanite); i.e., interaction between two already existing
language( familie)s. Your question gets more at genealogical relationships.
There are Persian loanwords that show up in later Hebrew and Aramaic
material, which would be one example of what this person seems to be looking
for. I'm not as familiar with Hittite loans, although Ugaritic would probably
be a good place to look for them.

Trevor Peterson
CUA/Semitics