b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Re: Relevance Theory & Hebrew Semantics

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Eduard C Hanganu" <eddhanganu AT hotmail.com>
  • To: jacksonpollock AT earthlink.net
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Re: Relevance Theory & Hebrew Semantics
  • Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 22:06:43 -0500

Dear Clay:

I consider Sperber and Wilson’s (1986) Relevance Theory on a level with Whorf ‘s (1940) Hypothesis. While Whorf claimed that “language is a guide to ‘social reality’and that societies lived ‘at the mercy of their languages,’ Sperber and Wilson look at context as a psychological construct based on an individual’s worldview and define relevance as the individual’s psychological relevance of a proposition to a context. Context is therefore user dependent, subjective and not objective, again dependent on a person's worldview and psychological makeup.

Fortunately, pragmatics is much more than Sperber and Wilson perceive to be. I believe one cannot place their theory in the right perspective before reading Levinson’s (1995)“Pragmatics” and at least a book on Discourse Analysis like the one written by Brown and Yule (1993).

For an understanding of the relationship between text and context I also highly recommend Halliday and Hasan’s ( 1990) book entitled “Language, context and text: aspects of language in a social-semiotic perspective.” These are only a sample of books that can help make sense of the relationship between text, context and discourse fragment where the meaning of the semantic unit is encoded.

Personally I cannot see how Sperber and Wilson’s Relevance Theory could have a significant relevance (forgive the pun) in Biblical text analysis. As you mentioned, Sperber and Wilson define their relevance maxims in relation to utterances, not text. They may help, also, of course, in the understanding of text, but could not be determinative in the clarification of discourse meaning. I believe the main ‘tools’ in the discovery of the intended meaning of the Biblical writer begins with a good knowledge of the morphology and syntax of the text and continues with the understanding of the way meaning is encoded into text at the interface of the syntax and semantics of the text in relation to the co-text and context.

You mentioned something about the difficulty of “reconstructing the contextual semantic domain of the verb CWR (Ex 32:4).” This sounds confusing to me. The notion of ‘semantic domain’ of a word is a lexical issue related to a word’s “sense” (which is context independent) and not a word’s “meaning”(which is context dependent). Establishing the “sense” of a word and its “semantic domain” would be no help in the establishment of the meaning of a word in a specific context. James Barr (1961) warned Biblical scholars in his book “The Semantics of Biblical Languages” that the effort to establish the meaning of a Biblical word through word studies was a serious fallacy and could lead to grave distortions of the message of the Bible.

Recent application of linguistics in Biblical exegesis indicates that meaning resides in discourse and not in the etymology or morphology of a word or even in the syntax of a sentence but in the semantic unit of the discourse fragment. I believe we need to focus our efforts in this area when we look for the intended meaning of the authors of the books of the Bible.

Regards,

Eduard