b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] RE :Karl randolf

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] RE :Karl randolf
  • Date: Mon, 09 Aug 2004 22:51:16 -0500

Chris:

I made the translation myself.

One of the aspects of laws in the Torah is that there is restraint to
punishment. For example, the concept of cutting off a hand for stealing is
extreme, rather there is payback with a extra fine, no more. Even the
physical punishments are restrained, one tooth for one tooth, not several,
one eye for one eye, etc. Thus, when a person is taken away from restraint,
especially as in this verse also taken away from judicial justice, indicates
injust treatment.

Karl W. Randolph.